Saturday, November 19, 2011

My mind was wondering today. There were a lot of situations in Egypt I did not understand while they were occurring. Looking back on them, I have more insight. 

Maiza was/is my favorite person from that study abroad. She is one of the servants in my host mother's home. I wrote about her once before. 

I went out one week with some friends to go look for a Galibiyya, a traditional Egyptian dress. We were excited for an upcoming dance party and Galibiyyas were the required garb. I bought a black dress with intricate gold embroidery. I remember trying it on in the attic of a Khankhalili store, looking in the mirror, and thinking it was absolutely beautiful.

When I got home to show my host mother, she took it from me and told me I couldn't keep it for reasons I still don't understand. Maiza watched from the hallway and instantly knew I was heartbroken/ young and stupid. We watched So You Think You Can Dance and ate mangoes that night.

When I returned from school the next day, Maiza had purchased a new Galibiyya for me. I have racked my brain trying to figure out its origin praying that she did not use her allowance for me. 

The dress was navy blue with gold embroidery and probably three sizes too big. I tried it on and she laughed. We spent the whole night altering it, trying it on, altering it once more. It's beauty along with the beauty of the memory continue to outgrow the first.

I'm aware I can never repay her for her kindness, but when I am in a position to, I'll try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment