My family left to take Jayk to Pennsylvania for the weekend. He will fly out of Harrisburg to Brazil where he will serve for two years. Due to unfortunate events and a mandatory orientation, I am stuck here missing out on my brother's last hoo-rah. Not only am I sad, I am racked with guilt. This is an out-of-body experience full of mixed emotions.
I don't remember my one year without him. It's almost like we were born twins except we have different personalities and I have always been the more attractive one. Jayk's first two words were actually two grunts, "buggah" and "buddah." He used them for every feeling and need. My mom says this is because he had his opinionated and bossy older sister to speak for him. Sorry for that, braddah.
I have come to the realization that I write in a bullet-point type of fashion. I guess it's my style. Here are more stories I love:
Jayk used to stick toothpicks in his mouth creating the monstrosity of a gap in the middle of his two front teeth. I also might have chipped one of them in a fit of rage. That's a story for later. Let's just say that braces worked wonders.
We rode the bus in elementary school. Every morning, we would race to the bus stop. Jayk's body was always bigger and faster than mine with my brittle bones and underdeveloped muscles. Also, his head was mahonkin'. As soon as we started racing down the sidewalk, he would push me in a pile of snow. By the time I could pick myself and my backpack up, the bus would leave. My mom wasn't too happy about that.
Jayk has tremendous musical talent. Never in my lifetime have I seen anyone pick up a guitar (or any string instrument) and play any song that I want perfectly. His mind is made for comprehending music theory. His latest debate is deciding whether to go to Berklee or a church school after his mission. He has awhile until that decision has to be made.
Between school and dance practice, I had a study hall for the girls on the dance team. No joke, everyday I walked in the room, Jayk's name would be written all over the board from various samples of handwriting. I would sigh, sit down, and open one of my books trying to ignore the girlish squeals and stories of my sighted brother.
Jayk surrounded himself with the most diverse and eccentric group of boys. I love seeing them together. They are hilarious and thrive on making people uncomfortable. Most of the time they are up to no good. Example: Just the other night they got in trouble with the police for putting a Christmas tree with presents underneath in front of a random neighbor's yard.
Jayk learned at an early age how not to upset my parents, something I failed at consistently. I had a big, fat mouth. He blended into the background and demonstrated a great amount of self control. Secretly, he was the biggest trouble maker AND a giant tease. Jory ran into my room one afternoon with horror stricken eyes, face planted on the wall, and leapt into my arms. Two seconds later, Jess ran into the same exact spot on the wall chasing Jory behind me. Jayk followed soon after hitting the SAME spot. I couldn't even protect Jory from the boys because I was laughing hysterically. It was like a scene from Tom and Jerry.
Jayk likes listening to Tchaikovsky on repeat. He also enjoys watching Oprah or Jane Austin flicks with my mom while eating salted grape fruit. This is not an exaggeration, folks.
Jayk LOVES Christmas.
He took Jason to a fake Beatles concert. Jason is my handicapped, but high functioning uncle who loves his women folk. Jason saw a girl and decided to dance by her. After talking to her Jason returned and cowered behind Jayk's giant body. At the end of the concert, Jayk asked him what happened. Jason had asked her to dance and she turned him down. Jayk's reply was, "Oh, she must not have heard you. The music was loud." And with that, his spirits were lifted. I love this story and will continue to tell it.
One time, I went downstairs and Jayk and Jess were dancing to "Pop, Lock, and Drop It." Synchronized.
I have been attending the single's ward in the same building as my parents' ward. A guy sat down next to me during sacrament meeting. Jayk was looking in from the foyer (dropping his eaves as usual.) I received a text from him that said, "Knucks, he's a fox." Thanks for eyeing up my prospects, brother.
I can go on forever. You'll make a great missionary. I'm proud of you and I'll miss you. I'll always remain your fiercest defender.
And now enough of stories and time for hysterics. Life is about laughing at yourself right?
I went into work literally ten minutes after saying goodbye to Jayk. I was welcomed with a hug and a cupcake from my favorite coworker who understands us mormons and our duties. While I was on the floor, I would start to tear up so he would try to cheer me up. I would instantly go from teary-eyed to laughing. Yep, crazy. Anyways, some girl decided to steal five pairs of black pants. Being in the mental state that I was, I opened the door and yelled after her, "Hope you enjoy your pants!" Definitely not Gap policy. When I re-entered the store, all my coworkers were laughing (even my manager.) Don't worry, she likes me and my antics. However, she deemed me not fit for customer interaction and let me organize the stock room.
For decent and understanding people, I am thankful.

Oh, this is my favorite post ever! It also made me teary. I love your big family and I now know why I fell in love you guys the moment I met you. I hope my kids turn out to be as amazing as your clan...and as tight because right now they fight like cats and dogs.
ReplyDeletePs. I LOVE to story about Jason. I want to hug Jayk right now. And, I think everyone in your family LOVES Christmas. It's Eric's favorite, too. I hated Christmas when I met but I have learned to love it.
Hugs to you!
xoxo J
We still fight like cats and dogs. I blame it on the boys. I don't think there is much to worry about with a mother like you! Love yah.
ReplyDelete