This post is long overdue.
I am engaged (since September) to be wed in May.
This may seem a bit out of the blue and shocking coming from an outspoken dating/marriage cynic. But for us, it's been a long time coming.
I met Sean Fall of my Sophomore year. My roommates nicknamed him the neighbor boy who wears dresses. When he found out another Arabic major was living next door, he put on his Arab garb and knocked on our door. Ahlan wisahlan.
We call ourselves friends of convenience. Not only was Sean my neighbor, but he was also my TA (cliche, I know). We attempted to set each other up with different friends. It's a shame neither of those dates worked out. We also spent a lot of time studying together. Well, I studied. Sean climbed on tables and knocked over book shelves in the library.
Sean says I exaggerate.
The realization of my feelings for him was gradual and yet, kind of sudden. I mourned his loss when we went our separate ways at the end of the year, one to Jordan, the other to DC. We still kept in touch and started dating when I returned to Utah. Vwallah.
It is difficult for me to bear my feelings for him. They are normally kept private, much to his chagrin. No post I write will ever do him any justice, which is why I have been hesitant to write about him for awhile.
I value so many of his attributes especially the many of his that I lack. He is beloved by those who meet him. He has a gift of interacting with people and I enjoy seeing him work a crowd. He talks. Like a lot. But it's probably a good counterpart to my taciturnity.
We share similar interests--the Middle-East, Arabic, travel, politics, ethnic food. However, we are opposites in most other capacities and I bask in these differences.
Sean is so well-versed in many topics. I'm proud of what he has been able to accomplish. He is open-minded, tenacious, and eager to learn. I've already learned heaps from him and am thrilled to learn much more.
He emits a quiet calm. I feel utterly and completely relaxed when I'm with him, which is quite the feat. His chi is a lot more tranquil, a lot more enjoyable, and a lot less chaotic than the lifestyle I've been living lately.
We will be married on May 24th in the Oquirrh Mountain temple. I mostly chose this because I really like the spelling, but also because Sean suggested it. :) Our reception will be at the Holmgren Historical Farm later that night. We would be honored if you could attend.
Like I said, this is brief and imperfect. I wanted to introduce him before he starts to frequent my posts from here on out.
I also want my (two) readers to know that Sean makes me a better person and I love him. I've never been so sure about this as I am now--apart from him since July. I'm weary of this long distance business and ready to be with him permanently.
And also I'm really, really happy.

YAY YAY YAY! This makes my heart burst. You forgot the part where I made you talk about your feelings, but I will forgive you and bring it up again at the reception.
ReplyDelete