We have therapy sessions to insure that our minds stay sound with our workload and also to combat culture shock. Today in my session, my TA suggested that I try to recognize the little bits of progress and daily achievements I make and reward myself accordingly.
I have recently been getting frustrated with some cultural barriers. For instance, we spend a good chunk of time in public transportation. The men on my program have great speaking opportunities with taxi drivers. Us ladies, on the other hand, are confined. It's against the social norm to speak to a taxi driver unless we are giving directions. So instead, we sit in silence.
Today, a woman driver cut the taxi off so I called out, "She's a donkey with a license!" The driver said something along the lines of, "No kidding!" and then continued to go on and on about the drivers in Amman.
I sat back and smiled smugly in the back seat.
Yes, I am taking this as a personal victory, Griffin.
Yes, I now hope that I will get into near-accidents daily so that it can be socially acceptable to break silence.

No comments:
Post a Comment